Chairperson - SHP Hearing and Speech
Chairperson - SHP Hearing and Speech
SHP Hearing and Speech Education (HS)
Office of the Dean
Chairperson - SHP Hearing and Speech
Job Family Group:
Job Description Summary:
The University of Kansas Medical Center campus is located in Kansas City, KS and includes the Schools of Health Professions, Medicine, and Nursing, which together enroll about 4000 students. A new 171,000 square foot Health Education Building provides advanced technology classrooms and simulation labs. The Department of Hearing and Speech houses a dedicated audiology simulation lab equipped with state-of-the-art software and equipment to facilitate clinical-skill development among first- and second-year Au.D. students. The Department operates Audiology clinics and Speech-Language Pathology clinics on-site, in association with the University of Kansas Health System, and in the community. A new clinical vestibular clinic space opened in 2023, equipped with a comprehensive suite of diagnostic equipment including a rotary chair.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
Serve as Chair of the University of Kansas Medical Center's http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-health-professions/hearing-and-speech.html. Serve as Program Director for the entry-level clinical doctorate in Audiology, and the KUMC contact for the https://caa.asha.org/ (CAA) and the https://www.asha.org/ (ASHA). Serve as co-Chair of the University of Kansas' nationally ranked https://catalog.ku.edu/health-professions/audiology-speech-language-pathology/. Participate actively in the School of Health Professions leadership team. Teach graduate courses in the audiology clinical doctorate (Au.D.) and Ph.D. degree programs. Advise and mentor graduate students, including Ph.D. dissertations and Au.D. capstone research projects. Provide service to the department, school, university, and discipline at a level commensurate with the appointed rank.
Education: PhD degree in Audiology, Hearing Science, or related field.
• Experience in mentoring students, and/or junior faculty, and/or clinical researchers.
• Experience with personnel management.
• Experience with fiscal and budget management
• Excellent written communication as evidenced by application materials.
• Experience with teaching
• Well-established research, scholarship, and clinical profiles as indicated by peer-reviewed publications, external funding, and experience in clinical practice
• Record commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor or Professor with tenure in the School of Health Professions
• Clinical doctorate in Audiology (AUD).
• Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology and is eligible for licensure in Kansas.
• Experience working in an interdisciplinary research center.
• Experience working with donors or charitable organizations.
• Successful prior experience with professional accreditation of academic health care programs.
• An extramurally funded research program in the candidate's area of expertise.
• Regularly disseminated findings though peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
• Commitment to developing a shared vision for research, teaching, and clinical missions of the Department and the School.
• Demonstrated leadership, communication, and negotiation skills.
• Commitment to shared leadership and possessing interpersonal skills to facilitate the growth and development of faculty and staff within the department.
• Exceptional collaborative capabilities.
• Record of leadership and service in academic and/or clinical/professional settings.
• Record of interdisciplinary collaboration with speech-language pathology and other health professions.
Responsibilities and Expectations
This individual will provide strategic leadership for the of Hearing and Speech Department in alignment with university mission, will be a thoughtful steward of Department resources, and actively will support professional growth of faculty.
Leadership and Institutional Commitment
• Promote and support the vision, mission, and strategic objectives of the Department and of the School of Health Professions.
• Advance a culture of academic and research excellence.
• Maintain and enhance national external measures of reputation and excellence.
• Actively and regularly participate in School and university leadership meetings and committees.
• Provide effective leadership and mentoring for Department faculty and students.
• Promote a positive and equitable workplace environment.
• Promote a Department and School culture that values and encourages discovery, scholarship, and innovation.
• Participate in and/or lead research programs and scholarship projects as appropriate.
• Promote recruitment and development of clinician-scientists.
Finance and Administration
• Provide effective oversight of administrative and financial processes in the Department and associated clinics.
• Oversee financial management and planning to maintain long-term fiscal stability of the Department.
• Work with the School's leadership to develop annual financial and programmatic goals.
• Partner with key stakeholders to develop annual budgets that include sources of income and expenses.
• Adhere to university and school financial, human resource, and administrative policies.
• Effectively present information to faculty, academic and campus leaders, corporate leaders, professional colleagues, and public groups.
• Cover Letter
If selected as a final candidate for this position, you may be required to complete the Association of American of Universities Representations and Warranties document and sign a release of records that will allow the University of Kansas Medical Center to conduct a further background check with former employers. A copy of the Representations and Warranties document can be found https://www.kumc.edu/documents/hr/Representation%20and%20Warranties%20Document.pdf.
Comprehensive Benefits Package:
Coverage begins on day one for health, dental, and vision insurance and includes health expense accounts with generous employer contributions if the employee participates in a qualifying health plan. Employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and various additional voluntary insurance plans are available. Paid time off, including vacation and sick, begins accruing upon hire, plus nine paid holidays. One paid discretionary day is available after six months of employment, and paid time off for bereavement, jury duty, military service, and parental leave is available after 12 months of employment. A retirement program with a generous employer contribution and additional voluntary retirement programs (457 or 403b) are available. https://www.kumc.edu/human-resources/benefits.html
To learn more and apply online, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4497117 or go to https://careers.kumc.edu/ and search for position number JR005889.
Applications must be submitted directly through the KU Medical Center website to be considered for this position. Any applications submitted via email or this website will NOT be reviewed or considered.
About KU Medical Center:
The University of Kansas Medical Center’s mission is to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral and continuing education programs in the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions. KU Medical Center also advances the health sciences through world-class research programs; provides compassionate and state-of-the-art patient care in an academic medical center environment; and works with communities in every Kansas county to improve the health of Kansans. Learn more at http://www.kumc.edu/.
KUMC offers a range of great benefits that support employees and eligible family members. Our health insurance benefits begin on hire date and KUMC offers other exciting benefits such as paid parental leave, generous employer retirement contributions and other resources to improve health and well-being. For more information, please visit https://www.kumc.edu/human-resources/benefits.html
KU is an EO/AAE. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information or protected Veteran status. http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.