Assistant/Associate Professor (Focus Area: Adult Neuro)
The Division of Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) invites applicants for a faculty position. We are seeking a tenure-track-eligible Assistant or Associate Professor to join our team. The newly developed Master of Speech-Language Pathology program will cover the broad scope of SLP practice with an emphasis in medical SLP. Anticipated start date: January 1, 2021. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The SLP program is housed in the Department and College of Health Professions within an academic health science center known for excellence in education, clinical care, and research. The College is a national leader in education, scholarship, and research. At MUSC, we have active clinical practices (in-patient and out-patient) with 30+ full-time SLPs and 10+ PRN SLPs.
The SLP program is grounded in evidence-based practice for education and clinical care. The educational philosophy emphasizes motivated, adult learners engaged in activities that they will experience during the evaluation and treatment of patients, guided by experts. All didactic courses are flipped classroom (all lectures pre-recorded and provided prior to class). To prepare for class, students read, listen to the lectures and take a post-lecture quiz to ensure comprehension of key points. Class time is spent with students actively honing clinical skills with faculty oversight (individual/small group guidance, short breakaway lectures to stress key points). Student performance is focused on acquisition of knowledge and skills as evidenced during in-class activities and clinical skills check-offs (a part of all clinically-focused courses).
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
- Master’s degree in SLP and a doctorate degree (Ph.D. or Ed.D.)
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC), and candidate for state licensure
- Clinical experience in the areas they will teach
- Qualify for appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor
- Prior formal or informal experience educating / supervising SLPs and knowledge of SLP practice and professional issues
- Demonstrate the following characteristics: a passion for education, a belief in continuous quality improvement, well-honed interpersonal communication skills, enjoyment in working in a team environment, and a high level of organization
Responsibilities will include:
- Teaching in the SLP program, scholarship (clinically-focused and/or educational) and academic service (student advising, committee service, professional service). University, College and Department/Division level mentorship is available to support career development.
- Teaching responsibilities involve didactic Master’s level courses, specifically: Motor Speech Disorders, Neurogenic Language Disorders, and Cognitive Aspects of Communication. This person will work closely with the other SLP Division faculty, the student services coordinator, and other college, university and community stakeholders to ensure a high-quality educational experience.
- All faculty are required to engage in scholarship/research. For this position, the focus of the scholarship could be clinical and/or educational (scholarship of teaching and learning).
- Clinical practice opportunities through MUSC Health are available and encouraged. We have many inpatient and outpatient opportunities (specialty clinics, etc.) that the faculty would be welcome to join.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Contact Name : Dr. Amanda Giles
Contact Address : 151-B Rutledge Avenue, MSC 962, Charleston, SC 29425
Contact Email : email@example.com
Contact Phone : 843-792-4102
Instructions : To apply, submit the following materials through the online application website: letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references (Note: References will be contacted only with applicant approval). All inquiries will be confidential. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Apply online to job # 520365 at http://careers.pageuppeople.com/756/cw/en-us/job/520365/univ-open-rank-slp-faculty-position-adult-department-of-health-professions
Application Deadline : 7/15/2020