Assistant/Associate Professor- SLP
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student -centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
The Department of Communication Disorders at Southern offers an undergraduate Bachelor of Science Degree in communication disorders and a Master of Science Degree in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition to offering an exemplary academic program, the Department of Communication Disorders provides its students with rich internal and external clinical experiences. With the largest university clinic for Speech-Language Pathology in Connecticut, Southern students are offered a wide variety of enriching clinical opportunities.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Department of Communication Disorders is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty opening focused on adult and/or pediatric communication sciences related to individuals with developmental and acquired neurological disorders. A knowledge of or interest in bilingual and/or multicultural issues is a plus. Candidates with expertise in other related areas will be considered.
This ten-month position, with possible summer employment, is available as of August 2020 or until the position is filled. Responsibilities include: graduate/undergraduate teaching, enhancement of interdisciplinary education and practice, participation in scholarly activities including presentations, publications, internal/external grants, and clinical instruction/supervision.
- Earned doctorate in Communication Disorders or related field; ABD candidates considered. If ABD, candidate must earn doctorate by end of first year of appointment.
- Must have ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence and be eligible for Connecticut state licensure in Speech-Language Pathology.
- Must meet the ASHA 2020 standard for clinical instruction by start of employment.
- Evidence of the ability to teach effectively at the university level and to engage in meaningful scholarship, including peer-reviewed publications and grant funded activities.
- Experience and expertise in teaching, research, and clinical practice in one or more of the following areas: speech science, anatomy and physiology, neurological bases of communication, neurogenic speech and language disorders, cognitive communication disorders, dysphagia, fluency, voice, and/or phonetics/phonology.
- Teaching at the university level and clinical instruction experience.
- Demonstration of an established record of scholarship.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills.
- Interpersonal/team collaboration skills.
- Computer literacy skills for administrative, research and instructional purposes.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contact Name : Barbara Cook
Contact Address : Southern Connecticut State University<br />501 Crescent Street<br />New Haven, CT 06515
Contact Email : email@example.com
Contact Phone : 203-392-7115
Instructions : Please submit electronically: letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to: Communication Disorders Search Committee Chair at CMDsearch1@southernct.edu. <br /><br />A detailed description of the position and required application materials can be found on the Southern Connecticut State University website at https://inside.southernct.edu/human-resources/jobs<br />
Application Deadline : 10/18/2019