Assistant Professor, Tenure-Track, in Speech-Language Pathology (Two Positions)
Lamar University’s Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences invites applications for two 9-month tenure-track positions of Assistant Professor of Speech-Language Pathology. Review of applications will start immediately and continue until filled.
COLLEGE: College of Fine Arts and Communications
DEPARTMENT: Speech and Hearing Sciences
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track)
The Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences is a prestigious and highly regarded department in the College of Fine Arts & Communication at Lamar University. It is one of the highest research-producing departments on campus and fosters a culture of collegiality and research collaboration. It has a history of successful grant applications.
The Department offers two graduate degree programs that are accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA): (1) the Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) and (2) the Master of Science (M.S.) in Speech-Language Pathology. The Department also offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences, a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant program leading to state licensure as an SLP-A, and an online graduate certificate program in Vocology.
Duties and Position Description: The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at Lamar University is seeking two full-time, 9 month tenure-track Assistant Professors in Speech-Language Pathology. Start date is negotiable. Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and service; be supportive of equity, diversity, and inclusion; be flexible and adaptable; and have a cooperative work style. All specialty areas will be considered. Summer employment opportunities and start-up research funding may be available.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Scholarly and Creative Activities – maintaining active research, dissemination of research, and application for extramural funding; mentoring of undergraduate and graduate research endeavors
- Teaching – graduate courses which includes clinical education and undergraduate courses
- Service – to the Department, College, University; to the Community; to the Profession
- Other departmental and program duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Communication Sciences and Disorders (or a closely related field) from an accredited institution.
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Active holder or eligible to obtain Texas state licensure in Speech-Language Pathology at the time of hire
- Those near completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent will be considered.
- Speech Sound Disorders
- Fluency Disorders
- Motor Speech Disorders
- Counseling in Communication Disorders
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Benefits: A comprehensive benefits package is offered that includes:
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas (or optional) retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent children.
- Paid time off—vacation, sick, and holidays
ABOUT LAMAR UNIVERSITY:
Lamar University is a Member of the Texas State University System. Home to more than 17,000 students, Lamar University is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. Lamar University (LU) is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
The university stresses academic achievement by emphasizing hands-on learning at all levels, providing ample opportunities for undergraduate research, and supporting an excellent Honors Program. Lamar University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and is one of 29 public universities recognized as a Doctoral/Research University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Several LU colleges and programs hold additional specialized certifications and accreditations recognizing their quality and expertise. Lamar University ranks in top 10 best public universities in Texas.
Living in the Area:
With a population of over 115,000 in Beaumont and 409,000 in the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan area, the region boasts a lower cost of living than the national average and most cities in the state. The area’s destiny changed course dramatically in 1901 when the first oil well blew in the nearby Spindletop field and turned the area from a quiet lumber and port town into a thriving oil and gas economy, with one of the largest concentrations of oil refineries, oil, and petrochemical-related businesses in the state. This has given way to countless job opportunities in the area – for science, research, engineering, and higher education. Living in Beaumont has a cosmopolitan and small-town feel wrapped in one – it can be fast paced, as people typically live and work closely together, but also has strong small-town community roots and friendly neighbors ready to lend a hand. There is always a new restaurant to try and good nightlife in the area. Education options are abundant in Beaumont, with all education rankings high on national and statewide levels compared to other cities. The gulf coastline offers sweeping, gorgeous sunsets and beach strolls, with exciting places like Houston or Lake Charles, LA for getaways only an hour away.
How to apply: Interested candidates should apply at https://jobs.lamar.edu/ and submit the following:
- letter of Interest
- curriculum vitae
- teaching philosophy (please include information about how your teaching will support a diverse and inclusive learning environment)
- 5-year research agenda/philosophy
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts are required at the time of employment.
Contact Name : Dr. Lekeitha Morris
Contact Address : Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHS) Department
Beaumont, TX 77710
Contact Email : email@example.com
Contact Phone : (409) 880-7696
Instructions : Reviews of applications will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.