Director of Clinical Education
The newly formed Division of Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) invites applicants for a faculty member position in Clinical Education. We are seeking a motivated Master’s-level SLP who has demonstrated skills in SLP education (Clinical Fellow/student supervision) and clinical practice to be the heart of the program. The person in this position will guide students through their curriculum with key roles in their clinical training and development of professional practice knowledge and skills. This person will work closely with the other SLP Division faculty, the student services coordinator, clinical education team, the clinical manager of SLP for MUSC Health and other college, university and community stakeholders to ensure a high-quality educational experience. Anticipated start date: January 1, 2021.
The Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology Program is a new program that has been approved by the Commission on Higher Education of South Carolina and is undergoing review by the Council on Academic Accreditation and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The SLP program is housed in the Department and College of Health Professions within an academic health science center known for excellence in interprofessional education. At MUSC, we have active clinical practices (in-patient and out-patient) with 30+ full-time SLPs and 10+ PRN SLPs.
The SLP program is grounded in evidence-based practice for education and clinical care. The educational philosophy emphasizes motivated, adult learners actively solving problems that they will experience during the evaluation and treatment of patients, guided by experts. Students participate in clinical experiences in all six of their semesters with their final semester being an immersive full-time practicum. Each clinical experience is paired with a didactic course allowing for specific learning objectives and evidence of mastery to be emphasized to ensure that students acquire the breadth and depth of knowledge and skills needed to practice as an SLP. The faculty member we are seeking for this role would teach the didactic courses and oversee all clinical experiences, working closely with the Program Director to meet the educational needs of our students.
Responsibilities will include:
- Teaching in the SLP program, academic service (student advising, committee service, professional service), and scholarship (clinically-focused and/or educational).
- Clinical practice opportunities are available and encouraged
- Approximately 50% of this position’s effort is devoted to student clinical practicum coordination and oversight. This includes working closely with the clinical manager for SLP at MUSC Health and the clinical education team to identify and maintain clinical sites for student clinical practicums as well as overseeing the quality of the educational experiences available at the sites
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
- Minimum of two years of clinical experience
- CCC-SLP and South Carolina state SLP license or the ability to obtain state licensure prior to the start date
- Master’s degree in SLP is required
- Qualify for appointment at the rank of Instructor / Assistant Professor
- Prior formal or informal experience educating / supervising SLPs and knowledge of SLP practice and professional issues
- Demonstrate qualities of: a passion for education, well-honed interpersonal communication skills, enjoyment in working in a team environment, a belief in continuous quality improvement, and a high-level of organization
To apply, submit the following materials through the online application website: letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and 3 professional references (Note: References will be contacted only with applicant approval). All inquiries will be confidential. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Contact Name : Abby Swanson Kazley, PhD
Contact Address : 151-B Rutledge Avenue, MSC 962, Charleston, SC 29425
Contact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone : 843-792-0012
Instructions : Apply online to job #520371 at http://careers.pageuppeople.com/756/cw/en-us/job/520371/univ-open-rank-slp-faculty-position-director-of clinical-education-department-of-health-professions
Application Deadline : 5/1/2020