Director of Master's Program in Speech-Language Pathology
The Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders (CSD) at Michigan State University (MSU) seeks to fill its position of MA Graduate Program Director with an individual committed to joining an outstanding program of research and teaching. This position will be an Academic Specialist in the Continuing System at MSU with a start date of August 2022.
The Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders (http://comdis.msu.edu) has grown rapidly for several years and has made significant investments in its research and graduate programs. The department includes eight research laboratories, funded by federal research awards (NIH, NSF), and has five endowments to support student and faculty development. The department has recently updated its graduate programs (MA and PhD) to achieve stronger program and discipline-specific learner outcomes. As part of its growth and restructuring, the department has added clinical faculty and tenure-system faculty at all ranks and is actively seeking to continue its strong trajectory. Additionally, in 2021 the department launched a new Bachelor of Science degree in Communicative Sciences and Disorders to accompany the existing CSD minor. The CSD department is committed to supporting the diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic plans that are in place within the department, college, and university (link to MSU plan).
Michigan State University offers excellent opportunities for collaborative research across a wide range of disciplines, including two medical programs (College of Human Medicine and College of Osteopathic Medicine), a College of Veterinary Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Engineering and College of Education, amongst others. The Department, which is part of MSU’s world-renowned College of Communication Arts and Sciences (http://cas.msu.edu), offers several opportunities for highly productive research and teaching collaborations.
- Doctorate in Speech-Language Pathology or related field from an accredited college or university. Highly qualified candidates with a Master’s degree and evidence of or potential for strong scholarship and teaching will be considered.
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as a speech-language pathologist in Michigan
- Minimum of three years of clinical experience as a speech-language pathologist
- Prior experience teaching CSD content
- Strong communication, organization, interpersonal, and decision-making skills
- Proficiency in the use of common office and communication software (e.g., Microsoft Office applications)
- Valid driver’s license for travel related to position responsibilities
A successful candidate will demonstrate a broad professional network in the SLP community and strong interpersonal skills for growing our clinical outreach and supervisor base. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of best practices in clinical education and supervision with a vision for further strengthening student training in the department. The MA Graduate Program Director will work collaboratively with faculty, students, staff, and adjunct faculty, to ensure that clinical practices, academic content, and educational procedures are compliant with accreditation and state/federal requirements. The MA Graduate Program Director reports directly to the Department Chairperson.
- Oversee academic and clinical education in the Master’s program, including ongoing assessment and modification of the curriculum
- Serve as an ambassador for the department to the broader community, including building relationships with individuals and organizations in the state, region, and nation, to strengthen the academic and clinical education of students
- Collaborate with faculty to support the network of clinical supervisors involved in the education, supervision, and training of students in the MA program
- Provide leadership and oversight of the CSD MA program so that it meets all accreditation standards from the Council for Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, including reporting to CAA
- Produce scholarship/research works
- Teach courses at the graduate and/or undergraduate level
- Oversee admissions, recruitment, retention, and funding efforts for the MA program to attract highly qualified students
- Advise students in the MA program
- Assist in the development of the annual budget for the operation of the MA program
- Other duties as assigned by the department chairperson.
To apply for this position, please refer to job posting number 761397 and complete an electronic submission at the Michigan State University Employment Opportunities website https://jobs.msu.edu. Applicants should electronically submit a cover letter summarizing qualifications for the position, a vita or resume, and the names and email addresses of three references. The search committee will begin its evaluation of applseekicants February 24, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Please direct inquiries about this position to Dr. Jeff Searl, Search Committee Chair (phone: 517-353-8780; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
Contact Name : Jeff Searl
Contact Address : 1026 Red Cedar Rd
Contact Email : email@example.com
Contact Phone : 517-353-8780
Instructions : To apply for this position, please refer to job posting number 761397 and complete an electronic submission at the Michigan State University Employment Opportunities website https://jobs.msu.edu. Applicants should electronically submit a cover letter summarizing qualifications for the position, a vita or resume, and the names and email addresses of three references. The search committee will begin its evaluation of applseekicants February 24, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Deadline : 2/3/2023